My Home Contents Insurance

Pay-as-you-go premiums available

A message to our policyholders

In light of recent events, we have posted a message to all of our policyholders on the steps we’ve taken to maintain our high level of customer service and how you can get in touch with us. You can read more here

If, as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19), you are experiencing temporary financial difficulties and/or may have difficulty with future premium payments, please contact our customer service team on 0345 450 7288. We will discuss your situation with you to establish if there are any measures which can be taken which may assist you at this time.

My Home contents insurance

Your housing provider may not insure your furniture, belongings and other personal items within your home against theft, fire, vandalism, burst pipes and other household risks. The My Home Insurance Scheme can offer tenants and residents the chance to insure the contents of their homes.

The National Housing Federation has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide the My Home Contents Insurance. The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks, and is designed for tenants and residents living in social and affordable housing. 

The My Home Scheme can cover most of your household goods and contents whilst in your home, such as furniture, TV, clothing, carpets, electrical items and general household goods. The insurance also covers replacement of external locks if your keys are lost or stolen and the contents of your freezer. The core cover includes personal liability insurance and also your decorations and improvements which you may be responsible for under your tenancy agreement. There are additional cover options which you can add to the core policy. 

Reasons to choose My Home

If you are a tenant who rents, then your landlord may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for, in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your personal possessions could be broken, damaged or stolen.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for:  


Flexible Payment Options

Flexible regular premium payments, fortnightly or monthly by cash, at any post office or pay zone outlet, monthly by direct debit, annually by cheque, postal order, debit or credit card.

Phone and email

Easy to Apply

Quick and easy to apply for cover over the phone or by requesting a call back using the contact page.



All social housing tenants and residents are eligible to apply.


No Excess

No excess - you don't need to pay the first part of your claim.

Home security

Minimum Requirements

There are minimum property security requirements. You don’t need to have a special door or window locks, just a lockable front door.

Price tag

New for Old Cover

Cover is provided on a new for old basis, with no deduction for wear and tear - except in respect of linen and clothing.

Hands with pound symbol

Bands of Cover

Cover is offered in bands of £1,000 starting at £6,000 for tenants aged 60 and over from £9,000 for all other tenants.


Comprehensive Cover

Cover includes theft, fire, storm, water damage, flood and accidental damage to items such as hobs, sanitary ware such as toilets and washbasins as well as fixed glass in furniture, doors. and windows.

Our optional extras

For an additional premium, as part of the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme we are able to offer you the following optional extras.

Broken window

Extended Accidental Damage

Our extended accidental damage options provide cover for accidents which may occur in the home. Cover excludes contents not inside your home, damage caused by wear and tear or electrical or mechanical breakdown. Limits and exclusions apply.

Possession protection

Possession Protection

Additional cover against theft, loss or damage for clothing and items designed to be worn or carried, whilst away from the home. Items are only covered up to the chosen insured sum, with any one claim limited to £500 per item. Terms and conditions of the policy apply.


Mobility Cover

Cover up to £1,000, £2,000 or £3,000 available for wheelchairs/powerchairs which are not licensed for use on the road and cannot exceed speeds of 8mph. Limits and exclusions apply.

Hearing aid

Hearing Aid Cover

Loss or damage to hearing aids in your home or anywhere in the British Isles with cover options of £1,000, £2,000 or £3,000 available. Excludes wear or tear or gradual deterioration, electrical or mechanical breakdown, damage caused by pets.


Structure Cover

Contents covered within a garden shed, greenhouse or garage are included as standard within the policy up to £2,000. Terms and conditions of the policy apply.

Premiums are based on your postcode, age, level of cover you require and preferred payment method.

This insurance does not cover your property against everything that can happen. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available upon request. To make sure that you are always covered you must keep up to date with your payments. If you don't pay your insurance premium your insurance may be cancelled.